Five Ways VCC supports International Students
It takes unique and courageous individuals to learn a foreign language, leave their families, and travel overseas to pursue an education. At Vancouver Community College (VCC), we’re proud to educate about 1,500 international students annually from over 40 countries. We value the many things they teach us as well—about their lives, their goals, their cultures, and the world outside our city.
As one of British Columbia’s longest-standing public colleges, VCC is committed to supporting international students in many ways:
1. Extensive student support
At VCC, international students can access many services to support their cultural and academic transition:
- VCC’s international office offers daily drop-in advising hours to answer students’ questions and address concerns.
- Highly trained VCC staff have the ability to assist international students with topics ranging from new student orientation to medical insurance, educational planning, and working in Canada.
- In select international programs including Hospitality Management and Canadian Business Management, English as a Second Language (ESL) instructors are available in-class to provide language and cultural support at no extra cost.
- VCC has recently launched the position of Regulated International Student Immigration Advisor (RISIA) to help students with immigration-related inquiries.
2. Competitive tuition fees
Studying in Canada is widely considered to be more affordable than many other English-speaking countries (e.g. United States, United Kingdom, Australia). At VCC, any increases to international tuition over the past three years have matched domestic increases (to a maximum of two per cent).
3. Students get jobs
VCC’s interactive, career-oriented programs are taught by highly qualified instructors with experience and connections in their respective industries. In class, students learn practical, hands-on skills, becoming fully qualified to enter the workforce upon graduation. VCC’s cohort structure also assists students in making personal and professional connections in Canada.
4. Great campus services
Life is good on VCC campuses. Thanks to our wide variety of trades and professional programs, the whole community benefits daily from affordable, fresh-made food in our cafeterias, bake shop, and restaurants. Students can also receive professional hairstyling in our on-campus salon as well as discounted dental care, automotive service, and more. See the full list of free and low-cost services at VCC.
5. Location, location, location
We love our city! Located in the heart of Vancouver, VCC is accessible by public transit from across the region. Many of our classrooms have beautiful mountain views and our students enjoy quick access to beaches, hiking trails, and parks. Alongside its natural beauty, Vancouver boasts clean water, a mild climate, high-quality health care, safe public spaces, and world-class arts, entertainment, food, and shopping.
Vancouver is consistently ranked one of the world’s most livable places and was named one of the 20 Best Student Cities in 2018 by QS World University Rankings.