North Island College
North Island College (NIC) is a comprehensive community college serving 157,000 residents on Vancouver Island and the central BC coast. NIC is distinguished by its commitment to student success and strong partnership agreements with universities and colleges across BC, the US and around the world. The college has been internationally recognized for its technology-enabled distance learning and is widely known for its quality programs, low tuition, small class sizes and applied learning opportunities. NIC was established in 1975 and proudly serves more than 8,000 domestic and international students annually who rely on NIC for university transfer and academic upgrading, health and human services, engineering, trades, technology and apprenticeship training, fine arts and design, business and tourism programs, as well as short-term professional and personal development courses.
NIC’s Shadbolt Studio and Trades Training Centre at the Comox Valley campus provide spacious studio and workshop space for fine arts and trades students.
They offer more than 1,000 courses and 80 credit programs to students in the Comox Valley, Campbell River, Port Alberni, Port Hardy and Ucluelet, as well as through many programs delivered with remote communities across 80,000 square kilometers on Vancouver Island and the BC coast.
- The BC Student Outcomes Survey reports 93% of NIC graduates say they were very satisfied or satisfied with their education.
- NIC and its students added $223.3 million in 2012/2013 to the North Island economy through operations, spending, higher earnings and increased productivity.
- NIC serves the largest population of all BC’s rural colleges. It serves 157,000 people, across 80,000 square kilometres on Vancouver Island and the BC coast.
Our programs include:
- University Transfer Partnerships, Including Guaranteed Admission to UVic
- Health and Human Services programs, including a Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree
- Business and Tourism programs, including an eight-month Adventure Guiding certificate
- Trades and Technology programs, including an Industrial Automation Technician diploma
- Fine Arts and Design programs, including a Web and Mobile Application Development diploma
Our research specialization:
- Sustainable aquaculture
- Health, community and industry research
- Remote Web-Based Science Laboratory
- Custom solutions using robotics, electronics and Internet
- Social enterprise projects
2300 Ryan Road
Toll Free: 800-715-0914